Hello! I have returned from a most wonderful vacation to Scotland and Ireland, and I can’t wait to share some pictures with you, but before I do that, I thought I would do some post-trip analysis on what I packed and what I wore. Before I left, I showed you what I was taking and how I packed.
In the hopes that I might help someone else who is packing for a similar trip, and in the hopes that I myself will do it differently next time, here are some thoughts about what worked and what didn’t.
What didn’t work:
- Like most people, I overpacked. I did not need a different outfit for each day. Most days I was wearing a jacket, and no one even saw what I had on.
- I packed too many shoes, even though it was only four pairs. Next time I will pack one pair of comfortable walking shoes and one pair of flats.
- I packed too many accessories. I wore one belt one time, and could have gotten by without it.
- Packed too much jewelry…only wore my gold necklace and earrings.
- Packed too many dresses….one would have been plenty.
- Packed too many sweaters. I never once wore any outfit that included a belt and a sweater.
- Did not need capris at all. Summer in Scotland and Ireland is not what we call warm 😉
What I should have done:
- Packed my travel vests, and worn them most days
- Planned simple outfits consisting of a pair of jeans or pants, and one top, with maybe something underneath or on top (like a vest)
- Stuck with one basic color scheme, instead of two… pack everything to go with either black or navy, not both
- Taken my basic black dress and several colorful scarves
What I did right:
- Took layers and a good rain jacket
- Packed my down puffy coat
- Packed leggings to wear with my dress
- Packed comfortable shoes
- Took my long black thin cardigan
- Took red and black large cashmere scarves
- Took colorful chevron scarves
- Packed Skinny Shirts and camis to wear under tops
- Took small cross-body black leather purse to wear for dinners out
I’m sure I will think of some more things after I finish unpacking, but I know that the next time we go on a lengthy trip that includes bus touring, I will pack differently.
Having said that I thought I would show you what some of the other people on the bus were wearing, and you will see another reason why I would pack a bit more simply. Let me just say this: There were some days that I looked better than others, but I am proud to tell you that I won the BEST DRESSED ON THE BUS AWARD! This prestigious award was presented on behalf of the three distinguished judges, Me, Myself, and I, after careful consideration and analysis of TOURIST BUS FASHION. Totally tongue-in-cheek, but I hope you will represent the USA better than this if you go on a bus tour:
You know what…just don’t wear capris. You will be safer that way. Especially if it is cold. And you know what else? Just don’t wear big white sneakers. I have told you that before.
While we’re on the subject of don’ts, just don’t do any of these:
Well, that’s all for today. I will be back next time with some beautiful scenic shots, and you will see several more pictures of my lovely blue rain jacket. 🙂